For a physician or midwife referral, call 404-265-DOCS
Neonatal Intensive Care
For the one baby out of ten who requires intensive care after birth, the advanced Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Atlanta Medical Center is ready around the clock. We’re here to serve newborns and their families with expertise and compassion at a critical time.
Advanced Neonatal Care for the Tiniest Patients
Located near our birth facilities, our NICU offers specialized care for newborns and their families, including:
- 30-bed Level III NICU – offering the highest level of support for the sickest babies
- State-of-the-art equipment – such as isolettes (incubators), infant warmers, vital sign monitors, feeding tubes, high-frequency oscillators, infusion pumps
- Developmental care – special bedding and treatment to transition baby from womb to world
- Low stimulation environment
- 24-hour coverage by specially trained professionals working as a team, including:
- Neonatologists - pediatricians with additional training in the care of sick and premature babies
- Registered nurses
- Perinatal/neonatal social workers
- Respiratory therapists
- Speech and physical therapists
- March of Dimes Family Support Program - providing information and comfort to families of premature and other critically ill newborns being cared for in the NICU
We understand how stressful and confusing it can be to have a newborn in the NICU. We encourage parental and family involvement and welcome you to the nursery at any time. We also welcome all your questions and will work closely with you to help you understand your baby’s special needs and prepare you to care for him or her on your own.
Learn more about Neonatal Intensive Care at our online Health Library
To learn more about the NICU at Atlanta Medical Center, call us at 404-265-4000.