From Rapid Response to Rehabilitation
Atlanta Medical Center is designated as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. We provide quality integrative care for stroke patients. Every stage of the process, from recognizing and treating symptoms to completing rehabilitation, is intended to return patients to the highest level of function and quality of life.
At our Main Campus, the stroke rapid response team is available 24/7 to diagnose and treat stroke patients. The team works quickly to develop and implement a customized plan of care for each patient so that treatment – including therapy - is started as early as possible to facilitate a stronger recovery. Once stabilized, our coordinated team of healthcare professionals is involved in the care of the stroke patient from admission until discharge from the program.
Atlanta Medical Center’s Stroke Program incorporates individuals from multiple disciplines. The interdisciplinary nature of the program provides our patients with access to a variety of experts, including:
- Neurologists with expertise in stroke
- Neuroscience Critical Care, Acute Care and Rehabilitation Nurses
- 24-hour Radiology, Laboratory and Pharmacy services
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Language Pathology
- Case Managers
Acute stroke care is available to patients 24 hours a day at our South Campus, with the aid of a Telemedicine robot. When a patient arrives with stroke symptoms, the hospital initiates a stroke alert, which contacts a Telemedicine neurologist. A wireless robot with a camera is then brought to the patient’s bedside. The neurologist can ask questions of the patient and can see their movements, enabling a virtual bedside visit between physician and patient.
If a patient requires comprehensive stroke services, such as clot retrieval or intra-arterial rt-PA, they are immediately transferred to Atlanta Medical Center’s Main Campus, which has 24/7 neurology and neurosurgery coverage.
- Advanced Certification for Primary Stroke Centers by The Joint Commission, American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, South Campus, 2013
- Get with the Guidelines – Stroke – Gold Plus Achievement Award Hospital and Target Stroke Honor Roll, American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, 2014.
- Coverdell 2013 Champion Hospital of the Year Award
Team of Stroke Experts
Husham Mishu, MD
Mikayel Grigoryan, MD
Bharath Naravetla, MD
To learn more about our Stroke Program, call us at 404-265-DOCS.