DIRECTORS WELCOME LETTER
Welcome to the Atlanta Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program. Our program was started back in the early ‘90’s. The faculty, residents and staff built it into one of the strongest programs in the southeast. I have been on the faculty since the start of the program, so you can be sure that I will work hard to continue this reputation.
Our two biggest assets are our residents and our faculty. Our residents are hardworking, compassionate physicians who have earned an excellent reputation in the hospital. For us, being an opposed program is an asset, since our residents become an integral part of each team with which they rotate. Our faculty is steeped in full-breadth family medicine, and truly cares about making sure each resident has an excellent educational experience in their three years here.
While evidence based medicine is important to us, we also believe in evidence based learning: how to help you get the most out of your time with us. Providing in-depth teaching on a broad variety of patients, in both outpatient and inpatient settings, is the main way we provide this learning experience.
Our hospital has been known for its excellence in student and resident education for over 50 years (see some of our accolades below). And we are located in a town that offers all that you would expect from a large city, but also has the southern hospitality that makes Atlanta such a popular place to live.
Thanks for taking a look at our program and please let us know if we can be of help.
George W Brown, MD
Atlanta Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program
See some of our accolades below:
2013 Atlanta Medical Center has been named:
- GHA named AMC to the Elite Class of the Safety Leaders Circle (One of eleven in Georgia)
- Get With the Guidelines Gold Plus Stroke - American Heart Association
- Heart Failure Gold Plus - American Heart Association
- GHA Partnership for Health And Accountability (PHA) Core Measures Honor Roll
- Certified as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center (both campuses)
- AMC becomes official healthcare partner with Georgia Tech and is a major sponsor at all of Tech's sporting events
2012 Atlanta Medical Center has been named:
- American Heart Association Get With the Guidelines Gold Performance Achievement Award for Hearth Failure and a Gold-Plus Award for Stroke
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence Award
- Georgia Department of Community Health Level 1 Trauma Center
- Georgia Hospital Association's Partnership for Health and Accountability Quality Honor Roll
- The Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center
- The Joint Commission Top Performer on Key Quality Measures
Michelle Cooke, M.D.
- AAFP Resident Alternate Delegate Representative to the Board of the American Medical Association.
Viktoria Nurpeisov, M.D.
- 1st place Research Poster winner : National Conference for Family Medicine Residents, Kansas City, MO, July 29-31, 2011
- AAFP Scientific Assembly, Orlando, GA, October September 14-17, 2011
- 2011 Keith Ellis, MD Scholarship recipient with Georgia Academy of Family Physicians for demonstrating excellence in patient care by using medical knowledge, systems-based practices, strong interpersonal skills, and professionalism
2011 Atlanta Medical Center has been named:
October 12, 2011 Recognized for Stroke Care Atlanta Medical Center Recognized for Stroke Careby the American Heart Association.
September 14, 2011 Top Performer Atlanta Medical Center Earns “Top Performer on Key Quality Measures” Recognition from the Joint Commission. The only Level 1 trauma center in Georgia to receive this recognition.
August 10, 2011 AMC places on Georgia Hospital Association’s PHA Quality Honor Roll Atlanta Medical Center places on Georgia Hospital Association’s PHA Quality Honor Roll named to the Chairman’s category, the highest on the list.
2010 Atlanta Medical Center has been named:
- One of only thirty-three (33) hospitals in the U.S. to receive Triple Gold Recognition in the August 2010 edition of U.S. News and World Report. Triple Gold Recognition is earned by hospitals who have achieved 85% or higher adherence on all measures applicable to Coronary Artery Disease, Heart Failure and Stroke for two or more years.
- Our Bariatric Center was recognized as an ASMBS Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence for a continued positive track record of favorable outcomes in bariatric surgery.
- 2010 Tenet Circle of Excellence Award as one of eight hospitals within the Tenet organization demonstrating the highest levels of quality, service and operational performance.
- Atlanta Medical Center has been named to the Georgia Hospital Association's (GHA) Partnership for Health and Accountability (PHA) Quality Honor Roll. Atlanta Medical Center is one of only 15 hospitals in Georgia to be placed in the Chairman’s Level, the highest on the list.
- A Certified Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission
- Has earned Gold Awards from the American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines program for Coronary Artery Disease and Heart Failure and Gold Plus Award for Stroke.
- A 96.5% Quality Rating, based on 2009 data, that meets and exceeds State and National averages.
- A Cigna Quality Center for Spinal Fusion
- A Cigna Center of Excellence for Gastric Bypass
- A Blue Center for Bariatric Surgery by Blue Cross Blue Shield Association
- A United Health Premium Program for Bariatrics, Surgical Spine, Cardiology