Orthopaedic Senior Student Elective
An orthopaedic senior elective clerkship is offered by the Department of Orthopaedics at Atlanta Medical Center to provide senior medical students a four-week rotation with extensive exposure to general and subspecialty Orthopaedic surgery. The senior clerkship is divided as follows:
- All four weeks of the rotation will be spent within the Atlanta Medical Center on Trauma, Sports, Spine or General Orthopedics. Student schedules will be dependent upon the time of year, the need of the service and availability of faculty.
Medical students remain under the guidance of the resident with whom they are rotating, the chief orthopaedic resident, and the program director Dr. Steven Kane.
At the end of the four weeks, the students are required to present a selected lecture topic to the faculty, residents, and fellow rotating students during a Friday afternoon teaching conference.
Application for Senior Student Elective
Medical students interested in the senior elective program in Orthopaedics must be in their fourth year. Five months are set aside beginning in August and ending in December for senior elective rotations in the Orthopaedics Program at Atlanta Medical Center. The Orthopaedic Department starts accepting applications for senior clerkships beginning January 1st of each year.
Students interested in the senior elective program in orthopaedic surgery at AMC download the application and background authorization forms forms, as well as provide the necessary requirements which include:
- A letter from your medical school approving a rotation at Atlanta Medical Center
- A copy of your medical school malpractice insurance information regarding students accepting elective clerkships at other institutions
- A copy of your immunization records
- Two letters of recommendation (can be from a professor or physician whom you have worked with)
- A copy of your medical school transcript
- USMLE Step 1 Score Report
You may download the application and background authorization forms for senior externship and send it along with the above information and mail it to:
Atlanta Medical Center
303 Parkway Drive, N.E.
Atlanta, GA 30312
If you have any further questions regarding Atlanta Medical Center’s orthopaedic senior elective clerkship please email email@example.com